Today, Everyone is talking about trendy technology called Augmented reality, commonly abbreviated ” to AR,”. This technology is used in all domains like business, education, games, real estate, news, TV, mobile app, movies, etc. All people are crazy about the AR experience day by day despite their age. In this article, we are introducing AR in the very simplest form.
What is Augmented Reality?
AR is a technology that combines real and virtual worlds. This technology enhances the vision of an interactive environment by adding virtual information (image, icon, object, etc) an extra layer over real-world information like image, video.
It sounds like magic right? Have you remembered our childhood sensation or magician show? In the show, a lady or an object emerged on an empty surface by a magician. Change color objects etc. This is a reason kids are fond of magic shows in any exhibition.
We all know magic is an art of tricks that provide an illusion effect. People enjoying it. In this digital era, AR is a technology that makes a visual effect of virtual objects with real-world information.
If you are in Dubai and looking for real AR experience, feel free to visit GameIn studio.
Before moving further, let’s review the history of this revolutionary technology.
In 1968, Ivan Sutherland is a Harvard teacher and computer scientist developed the first kind of expanded reality gadget with his student, Bob Sproull called The Sword of Damocles. The Sword of Damocles highlighted a head-mounted showcase that dangled from the roof.
In 1974 VideoPlace, was the following huge Augmented reality by Myron Krueger. It consolidated a projection framework and camcorders that delivered shadows on the screen. This arrangement caused the client to feel just as they were in an interactive environment.
In 1990, a Boeing specialist named Tom Caudell instituted the expression “Expanded Reality”.
In 1992, Louis Rosenburg from the USAF Armstrong’s Research Lab made the primary genuine operational Augmented reality system that was called Virtual Fixtures. A robotic system places data on top of the worker’s workplace to help with productivity. This framework could be thought of as an early form of what most AR frameworks at present do today.
In 1994, the first theater production to utilize AR was made by Julie Martin. “Dancing in Cyberspace” introduced gymnastic performers moving in and around virtual items in front of an audience as a bit of workmanship.
Middle period AR history –
There are a lot of dates and news related to AR inventions by engineers & scientists to explore AR usage. We are sharing the few most popular news below:
In 2000, Hirokazu Kato from the Nara Institute of Science and Technology in Japan programmed and released programming software named ARToolKit. This software could capture genuine activities and join them with associations of virtual items.
In 2009, As a team, Esquire magazine & Robert Downey Jr. first used AR in their print media.
In the same year 2009, ARToolKit makes increased reality accessible to Internet programs.
The modern history of Augmented Reality
In 2013, Volkswagen utilizes AR as its vehicle manuals. The use of the MARTA application through the iPad can assist clients with survey the inward functions of the vehicle so the service mechanics recognize what they are managing.
In 2014, Google Glass was uncovered and is made accessible to customers. Google Glass wasn’t as fruitful as engineers trusted it would be, however it showed the capability of what wearable increased reality could be.
In 2016, Microsoft presents the following emphasis on wearable expanded reality. The HoloLens is by all accounts everything that the Google glass needed to be, yet unquestionably not as tactful and wearable in regular daily existence and is without a doubt increasingly costly.
What is the difference between AR & VR
When We are talking about Augmented Reality then Virtual Reality is also a common term coming. Some people are confused about both technologies.
We explain both AR and VR in a very simple language with some examples.
|It is a technology where virtual objects are added via an extra layer on the physical environment. Users experienced some virtual objects in the real atmosphere on a digital device.||It is programming technology to develop a simulated environment & immersive illusion for human beings after using wearing equipment. Users complete out from the physical environment and simulate the virtual world.|
|For example –
||For example –
How it Works
To understand this technology wording, let’s assume a system has both hardware & software. There are numerous sorts of AR equipment (hardware like camera, mobile, TV, etc), however, all AR software (AR engine & rendering engine, web service, etc) works in two phases— Tracking and reconstruction.
- i) Tracking is how AR gadgets perceive what they are looking at. We can call it to find a marker point.
- ii) The reconstruction stage raises the second level of data to generate AR scenes.
The process to create AR content –
- Real scene feeds captured from a camera of a mobile device and sends it to AR engine & video player/video composer.
- GPS/Accelerometer/compass of mobile device fetches the position of virtual image registration & scene manipulation and sends it into the rendering engine.
- AR engines develop feed perspective frustum and send it to the rendering engine.
- Rendering engine requests for virtual objects from a manager of a virtual object database via a web server.
- Virtual objects Manager act on request & send a feed to a mobile device via the communication layer.
- Now rendering engines have virtual objects, the position of virtual image registration, scene manipulation & perspective frustum feeds. Now it creates a new input that is sent to video composer/video player.
- Video composers use both feeds (render engine feed & captured Real scene feed ) and create Augmented Reality Scenes.
AR is set to majorly affect significant ventures. Let’s read real use of AR from given points:
- Medical study- From working MRI hardware to performing complex medical procedures, AR tech holds the possibility to help the profundity and adequacy of medical study in numerous areas.
- Industrial Repairing & maintenance service – For more complex machinery maintenance & repairing mode, Servicemen first study spots & trouble areas by wearing AR glasses and headsets. After that, they work.
- Shopping – There are many apps, utilize Ar technology through which users can analyze how products suit them before buying. Like buying eyeglasses, users take pictures and select product catalog. The app will show the user looks after wearing glass.
- Property Design & modeling – Before starting any interior design, architecture and construction project, AR will develop visual information in front of clients. On digital devices, they see what they are going to develop and how it looks in the real world.
- Business Marketing- AR is adding fun & entertaining content into a marketing strategy. It helps to attract the customer and keep them engaged.
- Classroom education – AR technology develops a rich learning environment. It creates an animation effect on study material. It increases efficiency by learning & understanding lessons.
- The entertainment industry, is presently considering AR to be an incredible advertising chance to manufacture further bonds between their characters and crowd.
Future AR –
Introducing Mixed Reality is a live example of future AR. Can you imagine how beautiful it will be? It assures that this technology makes our life easier and boosts us to develop a new widget.
- Internet business – Many organizations will incorporate AR into their sites and mobile applications. In retail, this will bring about applications that flawlessly “dress” a client in shades, coats, footwear, and adornments through the camera in the individual’s smartphone.
- Advanced Marketing – AR advances will keep on improving how clients engage in with brands. Promoting AR will probably be found in bundling, on road signs, through gaming applications, and through collaborations with different items.
- Geolocation – The capacity of smartphones to illuminate us regarding our environment will be extraordinarily improved after some time. AR could profit everything from constant tourism warnings to café suggestions.
- Educational Resources – Researchers are as of now endeavoring to discover new and valuable approaches to utilize AR in preparing circumstances. The military and healthcare enterprises, specifically, are growing ground-breaking AR preparing simulation.
Are you looking to explore your concept with AR technology? Feel free to contact us. Any suggestions, kindly write in the comment box.